It was in such vessels that the bold Portuguese navigators set forth from Lagos in the 15th century to sail round the African continent and find the sea route to India.
The photo depicts the rebuilding of a caravel in Lagos’s harbour.
Lagos: Slave market
This building in “Praça do Infante” opposite Santa Maria church was probably the first place where slaves brought from Africa, in 1444, were sold.
The Fortaleza de Sagres (Fortress of Sagres), located south-west of Sagres on a small headland with a length of about 1 km and steep cliffs, is a monument of national importance.
Sagres Fortress: Compass Rose
After passing through the mighty tunnel entrance, one sees a giant pebble circle , detected only in 1921, of unknown age and purpose. The circle with a diameter of 43m is interpreted as a compass rose (Rosa dos Ventos).
Lagos: Dom Henrique
The photo depicts the city of Lagos, the westernmost part of the long sandy beach, Praia do Sao Roque, the marina and the fishing port.
Lagos: Gil Eanes
Gil Eanes from Lagos was one of Henry the Navigator’s commanders. He was the first to circumnavigate Africa’s western corner, Cape Bojador, aboard a caravel in 1434. Cape Bojador, was, according to the beliefs of the time, the “end of the world”.